Healthy Road Trip Snacks
So, you’re ready to let the top down on the car and hit the open roads to bask in the sun, take in some fresh air, and see some beautiful sites? With road trips come snacking, and if you’re lucky, lots of it! But, who said your snacks can’t be guilt free? Here are some tips for packing healthy snacks for your road trip.
Preparing for Your Road Trip
Prepare your snack cooler, as if it were your suitcase; beginning the night or several nights before, an outfit for each occasion, the right combination, and separately! Packing the right snacks, in the right combination, helps ensure that you eat healthy and stay full during your trip. According to nutritionists, when snacking, you should pair one serving of protein with a fruit or vegetable. For a meal, simply combine one serving from each food group. Pack snacks separately in resealable Ziploc bags to ensure portion control. Some healthy road trip snacks might include:
Good quality proteins
Nuts, reduced fat cheese sticks, reduced fat cream cheese, lean turkey, lean chicken breasts, turkey pepperoni, peanut butter, low fat yogurt, and hummus.
Good Quality Carbohydrates
whole grain bread, pitas, or tortillas, whole grain bagels, whole grain crackers, and whole grain chips.
Good Quality Fruits
Apples, bananas, kiwi, berries, pears, oranges, grapes, and melon.
Good Quality Vegetables
Celery sticks, carrot sticks, cucumbers, raw broccoli, and raw cauliflower.
Water, seltzer, 100% fruit or vegetable juices.
Try this recipe for a late evening snack!
Sugar Free Butter Toffee Popcorn
- 2 cups Splenda sweetener
- 1/2 cup sugar free maple syrup
- 1 cup fat free Parkay butter.
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans (or any nut you choose)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 cups air popped popcorn
1. Preheat oven to 250. 2.Air pop popcorn in air popper. 3. Melt butter, Splenda, and sugar free syrup in pot. 4. Remove Toffee mixture from heat, add baking soda;stir until well dissolved. 5. Add cranberries and walnuts. 6. Pour mixture over popcorn. 7. Mix popcorn mixture until thoroughly mixed. 8. Spread popcorn mixture evenly out on baking sheet. 9. Bake on 250 for 30 – 35 minutes. 10 Remove and coat mixture evenly again. 11. Let stand for 20 – 25 minutes. 12. Bag clusters of popcorn into individual, resealable baggies. 13. Enjoy with your family, while watching the sunset!